Languages of the World GeoQuiz
1. ___ Which of the following languages features vowel harmony?
- Uzbek (Turkic)
- Kyrgyz (Turkic)
- Tagalog (Austronesian)
- Arabic (Semitic)
2. ___ Which of these lists contains a wrong member?
- Indo-European languages: French, Lithuanian, Albanian, Farsi
- Indo-European languages: Romanian, Polish, German, Hungarian
- Austronesian languages: Indonesian, Tagalog, Malagasy, Hawaiian
- Finno-Ugric languages: Finnish, Karelian, Estonian, Saami
3. ___ Languages of the Caucasus are known for which linguistic phenomenon?
- postposed articles
- tonal systems
- rich consonant inventories
- extensive use of reduplication
4. ___ Which of the following statements are false?
- Many languages, including most Austronesian languages, Chinese, Japanese feature either a lateral or a rhotic sound, but not both.
- In many languages from both Uralic and Turkic families, vowels assimilate to each other over intervening consonants.
- Click sounds must have spread from Bantu languages such as Zulu to Khoisan languages such as !Xoo.
- Retroflex consonants must have spread from Dravidian languages such as Malayalam to Indo-Aryan languages such as Hindi.
5. ___ Which of the following language groupings do not form an accepted, reliably proven language family?
- Turkic, Mongolic, and Tungusic languages
- Semitic, Berber, and Cushitic languages
- Romance, Germanic, and Iranian languages
- Finnic, Ugric, and Samoyedic languages
6. ___ Which of the following neighboring languages are written using the same script?
- Hebrew and Arabic
- Armenian and Georgian
- Russian and Polish
- Hungarian and Slovak
7. ___ Which alphabet was invented by St. Cyril and his brother Methodius?
« Gabon to Drop China as Its Mining Partner?
Oman’s Uncertain Industrialization »